If you're a new CDL graduate looking for OTR training, Halvor's 5- week Driver Finishing Program offers competitive training pay - $1,000 weekly starting July 5. We also work to get you home during training - something other companies won't always do. On top of that, we will have you handling your rig like a pro, thanks to:
- Experienced trainers chosen from Halvor's top drivers
- Extensive safety training, including our "50 backs" program to enhance docking skills
- Side-by-side CDL coaching - the trainer is in the passenger seat while you drive
- One year of additional mentoring with your trainer via phone, text, or e-mail
- A trainee-to-trainer option that puts you on the fast lane to becoming a trainer - and earning additional income starting in your first year with Halvor Lines
The Training Program
- DOT drug test
- Agility test
- Overviews of Halvor's safety and maintenance programs
- Review of pay, benefits, and health & wellness offerings
- Introductions to many of the people you’ll interact within our terminals and while on the road each day
OTR Training - Weeks One through Five
- Take the wheel with confidence - your trainer will be right there to support you
- Practice backing so you can do it like a pro
- Get real-time tips and coaching from your trainer
- Ask questions - the more the better - and know you're getting answers from someone who knows how to get the most out of the miles they run.
Week Six and Beyond - Trainee To Trainer Career Path
New drivers who choose to become trainers receive 12 weeks of dedicated OTR training. After that, the trainee becomes a trainer, sharing "the Halvor Way" of truck driving with new trainees.
Becoming a trainer is a great way to reinforce the skills learned during OTR training - think of it as giving yourself a career promotion and a significant pay increase in your first year on the job!
While you're moving quickly into training, you'll still have your own support team. Your trainer will be available via phone, text and e-mail for the remainder of your first year. You'll also be supported by your driver manager and safety team.
Week Six and Beyond - Solo Driver Career Path
Your trainer will be available via phone, text and e-mail for the remainder of your first year. You'll also be supported by your driver manager and safety team.
OTR Training Q & A
How much do OTR drivers make a year?
According to Indeed.com, pay for OTR jobs vary widely in the United States - from just over $32,000 for a new company driver to more than $130,000 for drivers who own and operate their own trucks.
Halvor Lines bases each driver’s salary on experience and type of freight hauled. Drivers who work as trainers or drive in teams earn more. The best way to know what you could earn with us is to talk with a recruiter.
Do I get paid during training?
Yes. Finishing Program trainees earn $.20 for all miles under dispatch, plus accessorials, with a $600 minimum weekly guarantee. (Accessorials cover a number of things, including long layovers, crossing the Canadian border, etc.)
What is the best paid CDL training company?
We’ve heard many drivers say that Halvor is the best trucking company they have ever worked for. Our driver turnover is well below industry averages, and driver survey feedback has made Halvor Lines a Best Fleet to Drive For eight years and counting.
Best Fleets To Drive For is awarded each year to 20 carriers who provide drivers with good wages, solid benefits, safe equipment, and more. The TCA examines all of our operations, and survey drivers to get their thoughts on how well we meet their needs.
If you are interested in a job with us, fill out our Truck Driver Jobs inquiry form to talk to our recruiter.
Where does Halvor offer orientation?
Halvor Lines orientation is a mix of online learning you can do from home and on-site orientation that you can attend in one of two locations - our main terminal in Superior, WI, or our training facility in Rosemount, MN, on the edge of the Twin Cities metro area.
Where do I stay during orientation?
If you need lodging during orientation, your recruiter will take care of booking the hotel room and arranging for transportation to and from the facility.
What documents must I bring to OTR training/orientation?
Here’s what you need to bring to orientation when you begin your OTR training:
● Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
● Medical Card
● Voided check for direct deposit
● Certified Birth Certificate or Passport (To attain TWIC Card)
● Social Security Card
● Money to cover dinners and miscellaneous expenses during orientation. Halvor provides breakfast and lunch.
What kind of clothes should I pack for orientation?
Most drivers come to orientation dressed as they would for OTR work -- in jeans or work pants, with shirts and jackets appropriate for the season. Work boots are not necessary during orientation, but we do ask that you wear close-toed shoes since you will be in our shops and around the trucks.
Minnesota and Wisconsin are famous for having very unpredictable weather. Please make sure to check weather forecasts before you come and bring what’s needed to stay warm and dry while you’re moving between buildings. If you have any questions, your recruiter can give you tips on what to bring.
Do you offer CDL training?
Yes! Check out our paid CDL Training Program.
Looking for more info? Call us at 800.579.2114.