CLP testing in Iowa

The Iowa Department of Transportation (DOT) oversees licensing for commercial truck drivers. If you’re going to apply for an Iowa Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), check out the DOT’s online resources, which include a handy CDL classification guide to identify the exact license you need.

Getting started: the Iowa Commerical Learner’s Permit

To obtain an Iowa CLP, you need to:

  • Provide a license marked as REAL-ID compliant – OR –
  • Provide proof of U.S. citizenship, lawful permanent residency or an employment authorization or I-94 document.
  • Show proof you are an Iowa resident (a driver’s license is sufficient)
  • Pass a vision screening
  • Obtain a medical certificate verifying your health status
  • Pass the CLP exams outlined below

How to study for your Iowa permit

Updated in 2014, Iowa’s Commercial Driver’s Manual outlines what you must know to obtain your Iowa commercial learner’s permit. You need this permit to attend truck driving schools in Iowa, and programs like Halvor’s paid CDL training program.

The subjects you are tested on can vary based on the type of materials you want to haul, but all drivers are tested on these three subjects:

  • General Knowledge (traffic laws, etc.)
  • Using Air Brakes
  • Combination Vehicles (trucks with trailers)

Also a priority: choosing a CDL training program

It’s important that you apply to a federally-approved Entry Level Driver Training (ELDT) program, like Halvor’s paid CDL training program, at the same time you’re preparing for your CLP exam.

Most CDL schools and training programs have waiting lists for admission. If you apply when you start studying, chances are good you will be able to start CDL classes soon after obtaining your learner’s permit.

We know this is a lot to keep track of. If you have questions or would like a better understanding of what it takes to earn your CLP and CDL, our Halvor recruiters can help. You can email them directly using the links on our recruiting page, or call 833.4.HALVOR.

CDL testing in Iowa

Once you’ve completed CDL training, it’s time to take your road test. Learn what’s required to get your Iowa Class A CDL.

Time for over-the-road training

Many companies, including Halvor Lines, will put you on the road with a driver trainer after you’ve received your CDL. This is an important step in helping you build your skill set and help you gain real-world experience on the road and at pick-up and delivery sites. At Halvor Lines, we have a four-week paid OTR Finishing Program that will have you handling your truck and trailer like a pro. Once you’ve graduated, you’ll be able to drive solo or as part of a team. If you’re interested, we also have a 12-week trainee-to-trainer program that offers a significant increase in per-mile pay.

Drive With Halvor!

How To Become A Driver

OTR Finishing Program

Driver Feedback

"Confidence to succeed"

“Halvor’s support gave me the confidence to succeed. I control my own destiny and have taken my career to the next level thanks to their support.”

Mark A.
13-year Halvor owner operator