You’ve been looking for a new career and have decided to become a professional truck driver. By now, you’ve probably searched dozens of websites, including many that promise free online CDL practice tests that aren’t as “free” as advertised.
If it’s all getting a bit overwhelming, we can help.
First, check out our handy Infographic on becoming a truck driver. It will show you all the steps you must take to obtain your Class A driver’s license. We also break down the key steps below:
- Start by applying to a CDL training program. This is actually the FIRST step you should take, even before getting your commercial learner’s permit (CLP). And make sure the program you choose offers a federally certified Entry Level Driver Training (ELDT) course.
Our recruiters can assist you with the application process. Once you’re accepted into our paid CDL training, we’ll schedule your start date to accommodate your permit testing schedule.
- Study for your commercial learner’s permit. You’ll be applying for your permit in the state where you live (legal state of residence). In addition to federal regulations, many states have state-specific regulations, so it’s important to study the CDL manual for your state, which we have links to from our website.
- Take a free CDL practice test before heading to the DMV. You can find lots of practice tests online, but you’ll find most of them are teasers to paid content. We wanted to make practicing easier, so we created a free CDL practice test.
You see your score and review your answers immediately after completing it. And you can take it as many times as you like. It doesn’t include every question you might be asked, but it hits many of the key questions you’re likely to see on a test, regardless of where you live.
- Take your permit test. You’ll do this in your home state. You can find locations and more information on CDL regulations where you live on our Commercial Learner’s Permits page.
- Start your training! This is where the fun really starts. If you’re looking for a training program that is ELDT certified and lets you earn while you learn, check out Halvor’s paid CDL training program. We offer a great combination of classroom learning and behind-the-wheel training that will have you ready for your CDL test in just four weeks!
How To Become A Driver
OTR Finishing Program
“As a new driver, I loved having one specific dispatcher that I worked with…so you have the consistency of working with the same person to help you with all your questions.”